A Whatcom County fire at a plant that makes cat litter and other absorption products took more than 8 hours to extinguish.
FERNDALE, Whatcom County — A fire at a Ferndale plant that makes cat litter and other absorption products has resulted in more than $1 million in damage.
The Bellingham Herald reports that Healthy Pet CEO Ted Mischaikov said employees had been working at the facility Tuesday night when the fire erupted. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters arrived at Healthy Pet’s 60,000-square-foot warehouse to find flames burning pallets of cellulose and wood fibers.
North Whatcom and Lynden fire departments were called in to help. Firefighters worked for more than 8 hours to extinguish the blaze.
Most Read Local Stories
- Washington state trooper who died of COVID hadn't been vaccinated yet, family says
- What to know about Monday's COVID vaccine deadline in Washington state
- Five I-5 rest areas to close in Snohomish and Whatcom counties over trash, vandalism
- Washington physician assistant’s license suspended over COVID actions
- Coronavirus daily news updates, Oct. 16: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
Mischaikov says at least $1 million in inventory has been destroyed.