Two men were poisoned by carbon monoxide while operating a gasoline-powered pressure washer in a basement parking garage Tuesday, in north Seattle, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
The incident happened just before 5 p.m., beneath an apartment building in the 10300 block of Greenwood Avenue North. The men, one in his 20s and one in his 40s, felt sick and then walked upstairs to their apartment and called 911.
Paramedics found them alert and breathing, and took the men to Virginia Mason Medical Center, to be treated in the hyperbaric chamber, said fire department spokesman Kyle Moore.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Seattle's COVID eviction moratorium extended into January 2022
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
Besides being a workplace hazard, carbon monoxide has killed Seattle-area residents who barbecue indoors or use grills as heat sources during power outages.
The Seattle Times’ warning flier on such dangers, written in eight languages, can be read here.