A U.S .Navy sailor from Bremerton, who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, was killed in combat Wednesday, the Department of Defense announced today.
Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Sean Edward Brazas, 26, of Greensboro, N.C., died while conducting combat operations in Panjwa’l, the northern region of a Kandahar district . He was assigned to Bremerton’s Naval Base Kitsap Security Department, according to the defense department.
The base’s commanding officer, Capt. Pete Dawson, called Brazas a “splendid young man,” and said the death has “resounded through the entire Naval Base Kitsap command.”
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
Brazas’ wife, Allie Brazas, said, “My husband died serving his country. He loved his job. We will all miss him and we will never forget him. He is my hero.”