A 2 1/2-year-old boy died Saturday evening after he and his father went for a canoe ride on Lake Limerick in Mason County.
The Mason County coroner’s office identified the boy as Jace Olsen, of Shelton. His father, 31-year-old Sheldon Olsen, was still reported missing Sunday morning.
According to a statement from Coroner Wes Stockwell, the boy’s mother, Julie Olsen, told officials that Jace and his father had gone for a canoe ride about 5 p.m. Saturday, and that she had become concerned when they didn’t return.
Stockwell said witnesses had told officials that they had seen two people in a canoe, and later called 911 when they saw the unoccupied canoe floating free.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
The boy’s body was found floating in Lake Limerick, roughly six miles northeast of Shelton, at about 8 p.m. He was not wearing a life jacket, Stockwell said.
Despite searching late into the night, searchers found no sign of Sheldon Olsen.
Search crews and sheriff’s investigators were back at the lake Sunday morning.