The Blue Angels are here for this weekend’s Seafair celebrations, and that means intermittent closures of Interstate 90.
The precision flying team will roar over Lake Washington in practice sessions Thursday and Friday and put on shows Saturday and Sunday.
The Federal Aviation Administration requires the state Transportation Department to close I-90 while the Blue Angels perform, for the safety of both drivers and pilots.
Interstate 90 will be closed to all vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists in both directions — including the mainline and express lanes — between Interstate 5 in Seattle to Island Crest Way on Mercer Island.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
Here’s the schedule of closures:
- Thursday: 9:45 a.m. – noon & 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. (Practice)
- Friday: 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m. (Practice)
- Saturday: 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m. (Full show)
- Sunday: 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m. (Full show)
Also, I-90 ramps in those areas will close up to one hour in advance of the I-90 closures.
Drivers are advised to travel early or choose other routes, including I-405 or State Route 522.
The precision flying squadron is here for this weekend’s Seafair celebration.