Kitsap Transit has settled a lawsuit with a woman who was hit by a bus near Poulsbo.
BREMERTON — Kitsap Transit has settled a lawsuit with a woman who was hit by a bus while riding her bicycle near Poulsbo.
The Kitsap Sun reports the Washington State Transit Insurance Pool, of which Kitsap Transit is a member, settled with Andrea Opalenik for $2.75 million.
Court documents say Opalenik was riding north on State Route 305 in May 2014 when she was struck by a Kitsap Transit bus driving in the same direction.
The lawsuit alleges as a result of the driver failing to maintain a proper lookout and yield the right of way, Opalenik sustained injuries including neurological impairment.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle residents painted their own crosswalk. It didn't go over well
- Seattle's population dropped, but another King County city saw fastest growth in WA
- Dominant coronavirus mutant contains ghost of pandemic past
- What to know about the monkeypox outbreak and WA's first presumptive case
- Monkeypox in the COVID era: Here are the key differences between the viruses
Kitsap Transit spokesman Sanjay Bhatt called the incident a tragic accident. He says their investigation found the driver was not responsible for the crash and says the insurance pool settled to avoid the uncertainty of a trial.
Opalenik’s attorney declined to comment.