The Bellingham Herald
BELLINGHAM – Search and rescue teams are looking for two people who may have been trapped inside a boat destroyed in a multiple boat fire in Squalicum Harbor early Friday, March 30.
Firefighters arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m. at Gate 3, G Dock East, near the Bellingham Yacht Club, to find a boat shelter containing about 20 large yachts on fire. The boats were docked in the water beneath individual fiberglass boat shelters, each about a foot apart, said Bellingham Fire Department Assistant Chief Roger Christensen.
Flames destroyed the entire line of shelters, with boats inside, before firefighters could extinguish the blaze. Port officials aren’t sure exactly how many boats were housed there Friday morning.
Most Read Local Stories
- This says it all: Congressman proposes 'Masks Off Act' for schools as 29% of COVID cases in his area are in schoolchildren
- Lack of answers is excruciating for family of man found shot to death at Seattle's Gas Works Park
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Kent man killed, Cougar football player injured in shooting near WSU campus
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 25: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world