Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier accused in a deadly shooting rampage in Afghanistan, has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, the military said.
If convicted, he could face the death penalty.
Bales, 38, is accused of walking off a U.S. military base with his 9mm pistol and M-4 rifle, which was outfitted with a grenade launcher, before dawn on March 11, killing nine Afghan children and eight adults and burning some of the bodies.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration