Share story

A 37-year-old woman accused of deliberately running down two Seattle high school students with her car was ordered held this afternoon in lieu of $250,000 bail for investigation of two counts of second-degree assault.

Amy Lynn O’Brien, of Seattle, appeared before a judge at the King County Jail. She was arrested on Thursday after she surrendered at the Police Department’s South Precinct. Her next court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday.

She told police that she struck two female teens outside Chief Sealth International High School on Wednesday because they had “surrounded” her, according to a police report released Friday by King County prosecutors.

A witness told investigators that O’Brien had been involved in a physical fight with one of the victims shortly before the 10:15 a.m. hit-and-run collision. Police spokeswoman Renee Witt said on Wednesday that O’Brien may have become angry at one of the teens, 18, because she had struck O’Brien’s dog, although there is no mention of that in the police report.

The witness told police that O’Brien first tried to run after the older victim with a stun-gun, but when she couldn’t catch her she got back into her car and drove around the block, according to the police report.

When O’Brien saw the 18-year-old, who was with a 17-year-old girl, she “accelerated at a hight rate of speed directly at them without stopping,” the report said.

The victims, both students at the high school, were struck head-on, police said.

On Thursday, the 17-year-old was released from Harborview Medical Center. The older victim was listed in critical condition at the hospital.

An updated condition report for the 18-year-old was not available on Friday because her family has asked to keep her information private.

After the collision, O’Brien drove off, police said.

She contacted police by phone that day and said that “she was scared and that people were surrounding her car,” the report said. O’Brien told officers she would turn herself in at the Southwest Precinct at 4 p.m. Wednesday, the report said. However, she didn’t show up, police said.

On Thursday, O’Brien surrendered to police.

O’Brien does not have any felony convictions, but has been cited in the past for driving with a suspended license and operating a vehicle without insurance.