A large fire burned homes in the 5700 block of Captain Vancouver Drive.
LANGLEY, Island County — One home was destroyed and two or three others damaged in a suspected arson early Thursday on Whidbey Island.
Sheriff Mark Brown said all the houses were “large, rather expensive-looking waterfront” properties. A 48-year-old man was apprehended near the scene and is in custody.
The first call notifying responders came in at 5:59 a.m., Brown said.
All residents were accounted for, and none appeared to be injured in the blaze, he added.
Most Read Local Stories
- The myth at the heart of the praying Bremerton coach case
- Cruise ship hits ice near Alaska coast, heads to Seattle for repairs
- Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo jettisons COO, conservation exec and animal care director
- Fire damages landmark Wayne Apartments in Belltown
- Renton man, teenage daughters starved to death, medical examiner determines
The homes sit along the 5700 block of Captain Vancouver Drive, next to the Useless Bay Golf and Country Club.
Red Cross volunteers were on the scene by 7:30 a.m. to feed responders and assist people displaced by the fire.