Joint Base Lewis-McChord said the charges against Army Spc. Michael Wagnon's role in the deaths of three Afghan civilians were dismissed "in the interest of justice."
JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD — The Army on Friday dropped all charges against the fifth soldier it had accused of murdering Afghan civilians for sport during a 2010 deployment.
Spc. Michael Wagnon, 31, of Las Vegas, had been charged with the unlawful killing of one Afghan civilian in February 2010. He had been expected to go to trial in March.
In a statement, Joint Base Lewis-McChord said the charges were dismissed “in the interest of justice.”
Wagnon’s lawyer, Colby Vokey, confirmed the dismissal of charges in an email to The News Tribune of Tacoma.
Most Read Local Stories
- This says it all: Congressman proposes 'Masks Off Act' for schools as 29% of COVID cases in his area are in schoolchildren
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Lack of answers is excruciating for family of man found shot to death at Seattle's Gas Works Park
Four other soldiers from a Lewis-McChord Stryker Brigade have been sent to prison in connection with the killings of three unarmed men during patrols in Kandahar province.
An Army investigating officer had twice recommended that prosecutors dismiss the case against Wagnon.
Wagnon had testified he shot at an Afghan on the day in question because he believed the man had fired a weapon at Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs.
Gibbs in November was sentenced to life in prison for murdering three Afghans, including the man in the February 2010 encounter.
The News Tribune reports Wagnon was released from prison in June under the condition he wear an ankle monitor.