The notoriously anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Saturday’s funeral for Charlie and Braden Powell. And Occupy Seattle plans a counterprotest.
According to the News Tribune of Tacoma, Margie Phelps, daughter of the Topeka, Kan.-based church’s founder, tweeted Wednesday night that the church will attend the boys’ memorial service to “remind” Gov. Christine Gregoire “they died because of her rebellion,” a reference to her support of same-sex marriage.
Occupy Seattle responded by calling for a counterprotest. The group’s Facebook page said its members don’t intend to disrupt the funeral, but want to “protect it from Westboro’s abhorrent message,” according to the News Tribune.
Braden Powell, 5, and his brother Charlie Powell, 7, were killed Sunday in a fire set by their father, Josh Powell, in his Graham-area home during a supervised visit.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
- Wild weather plus terrible Seattle drivers: Stay safe in fall's first big rainstorm
The funeral service for the boys is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday at Life Center Church in Tacoma.