A 19-year-old man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend and setting fire to her family’s Renton home last month has been returned to Washington state from Oklahoma.
Jarod. T. Lane is charged with first-degree counts of murder and arson in connection with the slaying of 17-year-old Jessica Scholl on May 25. Lane was arrested May 28 near Oklahoma City, Okla. and waived extradition, according to the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.
He was booked Friday night into the King County Jail, where he is being held in lieu of $2 million bail. An arraignment date has yet to be set.
Renton firefighters responded to a fire at the home of Scholl’s family in the morning of May 25 and discovered the girl’s body. Authorities said the two had dated for a couple of years and that Lane had seemed distraught over their recent breakup.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
- Seattle to help buy three new apartment buildings to house people facing homelessness