Authorities have arrested the driver who they believe caused the collision, which occurred on Interstate 5 at Highway 18 in Federal Way.

Share story

Update, 7:50 a.m. March 22

A 34-year-old man was booked into King County Jail on suspicion of DUI vehicular assault after a Monday night crash in Federal Way, according to jail records and a Washington State Patrol news release.

Police said the man was driving on the right shoulder of southbound Interstate 5 when his BMW struck a Honda CRV driven by a 24-year-old woman. The CRV rolled over on the roadway and hit a Subaru Legacy. Both the CRV and the Legacy careened and came to a stop on the right shoulder. Meanwhile, the BMW struck a Honda Civic, and both of those cars slid across the highway to the left shoulder.

The freeway was blocked for about two and a half hours for investigation.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks

The 24-year-old woman was injured and taken to Harborview Medical Center, according to the WSP news release. The 62-year-old woman who was driving the Honda Civic was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Federal Way. A 26-year-old woman, who was a passenger in the BMW, was also injured and taken to St. Francis. The BMW and Subaru drivers were not injured in the crash.

Original post:

A woman in her 20s is in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center after a four-vehicle crash Monday on southbound Interstate 5 at Highway 18 in Federal Way, Washington State Patrol Trooper Chris Webb said.

The crash, which occurred shortly before 7:30 p.m., caused serious traffic backups as authorities closed all lanes of the freeway to investigate. Two lanes of the roadway opened up shortly before 10 p.m. amid a two-mile backup, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation.

It is unclear how many other people were involved in the crash and how badly they were injured.

Authorities arrested the driver who they believe caused the crash, Webb said on Twitter. That person is being investigated for vehicular assault, he said, and investigators believe he or she may have been intoxicated with drugs or alcohol.

No other information was immediately available.