Officials with Public Health - Seattle & King County, which issues permits to such facilities, are examining the park’s “environmental conditions,” which include its water quality and how lifeguards operate.

Share story

Wild Waves Theme Park, where a man drowned on Saturday, is under investigation by county health officials to determine if it’s operating properly and is well-maintained. Two inspectors were at the park on Tuesday, health officials said.

The investigation is still early and will examine a range of procedures and structures, including the park’s equipment and how lifeguards operate, according to Public Health – Seattle & King County officials.

The health department issues permits to such water-recreation facilities and, as per standard protocol, launches a probe anytime someone dies or suffers an injury while using them, according to a statement from Hilary Karasz, an agency spokeswoman.

“During these investigations, we examine the environmental conditions of the facility — including physical structure, equipment and systems — to identify if it is properly functioning and maintained,” the statement says.

It continues:

“For example, we review water quality, water pumps and filtration systems, review lifeguard operations, physical safeguards such as fences and other barriers, and the like.”

Public Health – Seattle & King County staff are not granting interviews at this time, Karasz wrote in an email. No further details on the investigation were available.

Vijayarengan Srinivasan, 32, drowned “in the heart of the water park” on Saturday, a day in which investigators estimate 8,500 guests filled the park, according to the Federal Way police report on the incident.

In an emailed statement on Monday, Wild Waves Theme Park officials said they were helping authorities investigate his death.

Those investigators include public-health officials, as well as Ellis & Associates, which oversees the park’s lifeguard training, according to that statement.

Cathy Schrock, spokeswoman for Federal Way police, said police have ended their investigation into Srinivasan’s death. The King County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled his death an accident.

According to the police report, the 32-year-old man worked as a programmer in Bellevue, was originally from India and moved to Washington about two weeks ago. He had a wife and 3-year-old child, the report says.