A maid at a SeaTac hotel accidentally set off a canister of bear repellent, causing evacuations and minor injuries, according to Kent fire officials.
Two people were sent to the hospital and seven others are being evaluated after a maid at a SeaTac hotel accidentally set off a canister of bear repellent while cleaning a room, according to the Kent Fire Department.
“It’s like mace, apparently,” Capt. Kyle Ohashi said, “but she did not know that and somehow discharged it.”
Ohashi said the chemicals spread into the vents and hallways of the Fairfield Inn in the 19600 block of International Boulevard on Friday morning, causing 9 people to report symptoms.
Guests were evacuated from the floors that were affected, Ohashi said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Tom Alberg, who guided Amazon and helped shape modern Seattle into a high-tech hub, dies at 82
- Brazen downtown Seattle attack now a homicide
- Cougar sighting causes fatal motorcycle crash near Lake Chelan
- What role should police play in mental health calls? Seattle has small, limited crisis staff
- For first time since COVID-19, thousands return to Lake Washington for Seafair
He said it does not appear that any of the nine people suffered serious injury, but two people were sent to hospitals as a precautionary measure.