The Associated Press
CHEHALIS — The Lewis County sheriff’s office is trying to determine how an 8-year-old boy who lived along the Chehalis River died in the water.
The boy’s mother reported him missing Friday afternoon and deputies found him about a quarter-mile down river on a gravel bar.
KBKW reports he could not be revived and was declared dead at a Centralia hospital.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
KING reports neighbors blame erosion of the river bank and think he may have fallen in when the ground gave way. The boy lived in a home that’s within 20 feet of the river.