Some 3,000 gallons of diesel fuel have leaked from a derailed train in Interbay this morning.
The fuel seeped down storm drains and is believed to be heading toward Elliott Bay, says Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore. Seattle Public Utilities, the Coast Guard and the Environmental Protection Agency have been notified, Moore said.
A single locomotive in the BNSF yard derailed at 7:50 a.m., said Gus Melonas, spokesman for BNSF. The train was traveling less than 5-miles per hour when it derailed, Melonas said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
No one was injured.