Other items: State won't resume work at ancestral site; woman fatally hit by car is identified; shooting won't spur civil-rights charges.

Share story

Three top Spokane International Airport federal security officials have resigned in the face of employee complaints and an inquiry by the Department of Homeland Security.

The resignations Wednesday of the officials, including security director David Kuper, were for personal reasons, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) spokesman Nico Melendez said, declining to elaborate.

TSA is part of the Department of Homeland Security.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks

The resignations came after some employees filed a petition with TSA administrators. The petition said airport security leaders intimidated workers and engaged in personal and unprofessional relationships with others.

The resignations are not the first by TSA officials in Washington state. Top security officials at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport were replaced last spring after a Seattle Times report on an employee petition alleging promotional irregularities and security problems. A later Times investigation revealed security and workplace problems within TSA nationwide.

Port Angeles

State won’t resume work at ancestral site

A majority of state Transportation Commission members say they would not contest the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe’s demand to permanently halt work at the Hood Canal Bridge construction site where the remains of hundreds of the tribe’s ancestors have been found.

After a 90-minute crash course on the major archaeological find at the site, four of the seven commissioners at a Wednesday meeting in Vancouver, Wash., told the Peninsula Daily News they would not fight the tribe’s wishes.

The state planned to use the Port Angeles waterfront site to build new pontoons and anchors for the Hood Canal floating bridge. But work has been halted for 16 months because of the discoveries at the site, where the Klallam village of Tse-whit-zen stood for 1,700 years before it was leveled in the 1920s to make way for a sawmill.

The archaeological finds and vast numbers of remains make the site the largest of its kind in the Northwest, tribe and state archaeologists say.

State Department of Transportation officials plan a conference call with tribal council members today.


Woman fatally hit by car is identified

An 82-year-old woman who died Tuesday after she was struck by a car as she tried to cross a West Seattle intersection has been identified as Irene Farrar.

The Seattle woman was hit by a 75-year-old woman near the corner of Fauntleroy Way Southwest and Southwest Willow Street.

Farrar died at Harborview Medical Center.

Police still are investigating the crash.


Shooting won’t spur civil-rights charges

The president of the Seattle branch of the NAACP said yesterday that he’s disturbed federal prosecutors won’t pursue civil-rights charges against a King County sheriff’s deputy who shot and killed a black man. But President Carl Mack says he respects the decision.

The April 7, 2002, shooting occurred after Robert Thomas Sr., 59, his son and his son’s girlfriend got lost on the way to a friend’s house for breakfast. When Thomas Sr. pulled his pickup onto the shoulder of a road near Renton, a resident spotted the unfamiliar vehicle and called Miller, who lived nearby. Miller, who is white, grabbed his service pistol and went to investigate.

Miller, who was off duty at the time of the shooting, told investigators Thomas aimed a gun at him, prompting him to fire. Thomas’ son and the son’s girlfriend, who were in the back seat, said they didn’t see the elder Thomas show a gun.

In May 2003, the Seattle chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People requested a federal investigation into Thomas’ death. Officials with the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the U.S. Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division announced their decision Wednesday.

Times staff and news services