A 37-year-old Seattle woman accused of deliberately striking and injuring two teens outside Chief Sealth International High School on Wednesday was ordered held Friday in lieu of $250,000 bail.

Share story

A 37-year-old woman accused of deliberately running down two Seattle high-school students with her car was ordered held Friday in lieu of $250,000 bail.

Amy Lynn O’Brien, of Seattle, appeared before a judge at the King County Jail. The deadline for filing charges is Tuesday, according to Dan Donohoe, spokesman for King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg.

She was arrested on Thursday after she surrendered at the police department’s South Precinct. She told police that she struck two female teens outside Chief Sealth International High School on Wednesday because they had “surrounded” her, according to a police report released Friday by King County prosecutors.

A witness told investigators that O’Brien had been involved in a physical fight with one of the victims shortly before the 10:15 a.m. hit-and-run.

Police spokeswoman Renee Witt said on Wednesday that O’Brien may have become angry at one of the victims, an 18-year-old, because she had struck O’Brien’s dog, although there was no mention of that in the police report.

The witness told police that O’Brien first tried to run after the older victim with a stun-gun, but when she couldn’t catch her she got back into her car and drove around the block, according to the police report.

When O’Brien saw the 18-year-old, who was with a 17-year-old girl, she “accelerated at a high rate of speed directly at them without stopping,” the report said.

The victims, both students at the high school, were struck head-on, police said.

On Thursday, the 17-year-old was released from Harborview Medical Center.

An updated condition report for the 18-year-old was not available on Friday because her family has asked to keep her information private, according to a Harborview spokeswoman.

After hitting the victims, O’Brien drove off, police said. She contacted police by phone that day and said that “she was scared and that people were surrounding her car,” the report said.

O’Brien told officers she would turn herself in at the Southwest Precinct at 4 p.m. Wednesday, the report said. However, she didn’t show up, police said.

On Thursday, O’Brien surrendered to police.

O’Brien does not have any felony convictions, but has been cited in the past for driving with a suspended license and operating a vehicle without insurance.

Seattle Times news researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report, which includes information from Times archives.

Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or jensullivan@seattletimes.com. On Twitter @SeattleSullivan.