A man, woman and dog died in an apartment fire in Seattle’s Miller Park neighborhood late Thursday, according to the Seattle Fire Department. 

Callers to 911 reported flames coming through a window of a third-floor apartment in the 100 block of 23rd Avenue East around 11:40 p.m., the department said online

The fire took place in the Elizabeth James House, a Community Roots Housing affordable apartment building built in 1968.

According to a neighbor who lives on the same floor, the fire blew out the windows in the middle of the night. Blackened walls, ceilings and glassless windows were what was left of the unit Friday morning.

The first firefighters on the scene confirmed that the fire had burned through the third-floor window and was extending upward to the eaves of the roof, SFD said. Smoke had billowed into the hallways, though protective fire doors prevented much of the smoke from moving past the immediate area.

Crews outside and inside the building got water on the fire.

Firefighters entered the apartment, knocked down the fire and found a man, woman and dog dead in the living room, the department said, adding that furniture and personal items blocked access to the living spaces.

The fire was extinguished by 12:13 a.m. Friday and was confined to the single apartment unit. Units below suffered water damage, the department said.