An Amtrak train hit and killed a man in a pickup at Joint Base Lewis-McChord Monday night, according to BNSF Railway spokesman Gus Melonas.
The pickup was on the tracks about 40 yards from the nearest railroad crossing at Solo Point Road when a southbound Amtrak train from Seattle hit it at 6:40 p.m., Melonas said. The railroad was closed in the area until about 10 p.m. he said.
None of the 153 passengers or crew on the 509 train bound for Eugene, Ore., was hurt in the collision, according to Amtrak spokeswoman Vernae Graham.
Most Read Local Stories
- Missing Lummi Nation woman found alive, aunt says
- Washington state analyzed two COVID scenarios for fall. One is much worse than the other
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- King County head of homelessness may be an 'impossible' job, but Marc Dones is optimistic
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 24: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world