State officials said Friday there's no doubt Barack Obama was born in Hawaii.
HONOLULU — State officials said Friday there’s no doubt Barack Obama was born in Hawaii.
Health Department Director Chiyome Fukino said she and the registrar of vital statistics, Alvin Onaka, personally verified that the health department holds Obama’s original birth certificate.
Fukino said no state official, including Republican Gov. Linda Lingle, ever instructed that Obama’s certificate be handled differently.
Fukino said state law bars release of a certified birth certificate to anyone who does not have a tangible interest. Some Obama critics claim he was not born in the United States.
Most Read Local Stories
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 7: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation
- New UW analysis lowers coronavirus death projections and suggests hospitalizations may have already peaked in Washington
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 8: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation
- 'It will not go forgotten': One Seattle business and its tale of two landlords during the coronavirus crisis
- As coronavirus economic effects strain food banks, Gov. Inslee announces statewide food relief fund in Washington
Earlier Friday, a southwest Ohio magistrate rejected a challenge to Obama’s citizenship. Judges in Seattle and Philadelphia dismissed similar suits recently.