State officials said Friday there's no doubt Barack Obama was born in Hawaii.
HONOLULU — State officials said Friday there’s no doubt Barack Obama was born in Hawaii.
Health Department Director Chiyome Fukino said she and the registrar of vital statistics, Alvin Onaka, personally verified that the health department holds Obama’s original birth certificate.
Fukino said no state official, including Republican Gov. Linda Lingle, ever instructed that Obama’s certificate be handled differently.
Fukino said state law bars release of a certified birth certificate to anyone who does not have a tangible interest. Some Obama critics claim he was not born in the United States.
Most Read Local Stories
- Five I-5 rest areas to close in Snohomish and Whatcom counties over trash, vandalism
- The Seattle area is heading into another La Niña winter. Here's what that means
- González, Harrell trade barbs on homelessness, policing in televised Seattle mayoral debate
- Coronavirus daily news updates, October 15: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Seattle to begin towing vehicles again, but it's unclear what that means for people who live in cars
Earlier Friday, a southwest Ohio magistrate rejected a challenge to Obama’s citizenship. Judges in Seattle and Philadelphia dismissed similar suits recently.