State officials said Friday there's no doubt Barack Obama was born in Hawaii.
HONOLULU — State officials said Friday there’s no doubt Barack Obama was born in Hawaii.
Health Department Director Chiyome Fukino said she and the registrar of vital statistics, Alvin Onaka, personally verified that the health department holds Obama’s original birth certificate.
Fukino said no state official, including Republican Gov. Linda Lingle, ever instructed that Obama’s certificate be handled differently.
Fukino said state law bars release of a certified birth certificate to anyone who does not have a tangible interest. Some Obama critics claim he was not born in the United States.
Most Read Local Stories
- Body pulled from water hours after crash on Ship Canal Bridge
- What to know about the monkeypox outbreak and WA's first presumptive case
- King County investigating first presumptive case of monkeypox in WA
- Even with Seattle's superrich top earners, the city's income gap is nowhere near the worst in the U.S.
- Eastside bear that evaded capture for years is caught, killed near Issaquah
Earlier Friday, a southwest Ohio magistrate rejected a challenge to Obama’s citizenship. Judges in Seattle and Philadelphia dismissed similar suits recently.