Colman Pool in West Seattle opened in 1941 after being a swimming hole for years.
The heated pool located on the water in Lincoln Park wasn’t always the Olympic-sized pool it is today.
Before it was named Colman Pool, it was called the Lincoln Park Swimming Pool, which opened on July 27, 1925. The hole featured a diving board.
The swimming hole was fed by the tide, surrounded by dirt mounds. To clean it the fire department would hose out mud and debris.
To see other photos of the swimming pool visit the Seattle Municipal Archives.
In 1941 Kenneth Colman donated $150,000 to build the pool with concrete and tile, according to Seattle Parks and Recreation.
Ernest Norling painted the mural in 1941 with oil paint.
A 1941 Seattle Times article described the mural: “The mural executed by Mr. Ernest Norling, Seattle artist, shows boy and girls at work and play, for you people and their activities formed the great interest of the late Laurence Colman, philanthropist and civic leader, during his lifetime.”
The Associated Recreation Council is collecting funds to help restore the Colman Pool lobby mural. The restoration is planned for September 2015 at the cost of $15,000 according the Seattle Parks department.
See how the photos above ran in the The Seattle Sunday Times in 1941.
Postcards from the Past is an occasional feature, highlighting the history of the Pacific Northwest. The images are from The Seattle Times archive.