The crumbling seminary wasn't always in disrepair.
The St. Edward Seminary dates back to the 1920s, when Seattle Bishop Edward John O’Dea purchased more than 300 acres along north Lake Washington.
The grand building, designed in the Late Romanesque Revival style with a bell tower and commanding views, was built in 1931 and named after St. Edward the Confessor.
A Seattle Daily Times article described the scene as the Seattle Archdiocese dedicated the seminary complex Oct. 13, 1931:
“The chapel of the splendid $500,000 St. Edward’s Seminary, in its restful setting in the green firs and cedars overlook Lake Washington, rang and echoed today to the sonorous Latin chants and antiphons of choristers and priests at the open dedicatory rites.”
Another scene from The Seattle Times archives shows people gathering in front of the seminary in 1951, the year the gym and auditorium were built.
A swimming pool was dedicated by Archbishop Thomas Connolly in 1968.
A May 1, 1976, article about the public farewell for the seminary, which had educated about 400 priests, along with hundreds more high-school students.
The archdiocese sold the site to the state in 1977 after declining enrollment. Now part of St. Edward State Park, the buildings have fallen into decay.
In 2009, The Seattle Times created a video tour inside the seminary.
The latest proposal is to turn the Kenmore seminary into a national-park-style lodge.
Postcards from the Past is an occasional feature, highlighting the history of the Pacific Northwest. The images are from The Seattle Times archive.