A look at the crucial and unique role of old trees in forest ecosystems, as explained by the nation's leading old-growth scientist, Jerry Franklin. Early on, he noted the ecological value of older trees.
- BetterInvesting clubs show long-term returns in stocks — and social bonds
- You can’t beat absurdly sweet Tulameen raspberries, but you can turn them into this ideal dessert
- Seattle’s Uptown got a new name, but a historic landmark shines on
- Transform a cup of healthy green tea into refreshing ice cream
- How to grow your own backyard berries in containers
- Downtown broke out in tents in 1889 after Seattle’s most disastrous fire
- Rain shower turns an iris petal into a wonderful waterscape
More Pacific NW:
The view of Jimi Hendrix's final Seattle concert was good from Tightwad Hill but it was even better once Jean Sherrard was allowed onto the Sicks Stadium field to get closer to the stage. Hendrix died, at the age of 27, less than two months later.
This is well-composed and perfectly lit. The motion of the Sol Duc Falls contrasts nicely with the stillness of the forest. Lots of detail to enjoy here, too. The greenest of greenery, trees that seem to fade off into forever.
- Suspended by only a wing and the air, glider pilots soar from Samish Overlook
- One minute you’re texting … then you’re running … then you’re FLYING
- One woman’s path to paradise on a small Puerto Rican island was a 20-year journey full of love, humor and loss
- Here are 10 soul-satisfying day trips you can take around Washington
- Local song circles keep their singers close amid pandemic by going virtual — and global
- Enjoy a pancake, then a paddle with this Seattle kayaking group
- The Star Trek Fans of Seattle find camaraderie in the sprawling science-fiction universe
- MOB Nation connects working moms for support — even without ever meeting each other
- Bake up your own chewy, fudgy malted milk brownies
- They call him OG San: ‘authentic, old-school and esteemed.’ Bruce Miyahara has earned it.
- Who's behind the wildly popular flavor drops of a new Seattle ice cream pop-up
- The amazing power of locally owned Takii Umami Powder — plus a simple, unbelievably tasty vegetarian recipe
- These spires, spikes and skinny plants add dynamic drama to the garden
- These resilient plants will not only survive, but thrive, through wet or dry times
- Seattle group welcomes your unwanted fruit harvest to prevent hunger and waste
- Gardeners like summer camp, too. Here are some ideas and activities to get started.
Most Read Stories
- Yes, it's still summer in Seattle, but our days before 'the Big Dark' are numbered
- King County's top health official recommends masks in public indoor spaces — regardless of vaccination status
- Canada's new COVID border rules have put us in our place
- 'It's hard to feel overly optimistic': National media react to the Kraken's picks in the NHL expansion draft
- As sunny Seattle is shown off to a national audience, Kraken opts for substance in NHL expansion draft
- From commuting to Costco samples: Ron Judd’s list of 20 things we DON’T need back after the pandemic
- We humans have dumped on the poor pigeon for too long; it’s high time to admire this fascinating, fast, quirky bird | Ron Judd
- Ron Judd’s HELP!!-ful guide to navigating our ‘new normal’
- Ron Judd’s soul-restoring suggestions for where we go from here — once it’s safe to go outdoors