Excellent ideas by readers and editorial staff for this year’s headlines. Now it’s time to take action to make them come true.
We can start with what is working in Congress. Two bipartisan initiatives have been introduced that will make a life-or-death difference in our world. First, the Reach Every Mother and Child Act will make our work saving the lives of mothers and children more efficient. This is a great way to take the next step in saving millions of lives of those dying from preventable causes. Second, the resolutions supporting the Global Partnership for Education’s plan to put 25 million children in school for the first time. Imagine the headlines: “Millions of mothers and children saved from preventable deaths” and “25 million futures ensured by new education opportunities.”
Our job is to speak to our senators and representatives, thanking them for their support of these initiatives and requesting them to continue their support until the headlines become reality.
Willie Dickerson, Snohomish
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Lesson from Trump-Putin summit: Vote to restore America’s honor | Editorial
- ‘Aid and comfort’ to enemies: Trump, Russia and treason | Op-Ed
- Seattle Times editorial board endorsements for August primary election
- The Times recommends: Rodney Tom for State Senate, 48th Legislative District | Editorial
- Trump’s victory dance on the Euro-American tomb | David Brooks / Syndicated columnist