Excellent ideas by readers and editorial staff for this year’s headlines. Now it’s time to take action to make them come true.
We can start with what is working in Congress. Two bipartisan initiatives have been introduced that will make a life-or-death difference in our world. First, the Reach Every Mother and Child Act will make our work saving the lives of mothers and children more efficient. This is a great way to take the next step in saving millions of lives of those dying from preventable causes. Second, the resolutions supporting the Global Partnership for Education’s plan to put 25 million children in school for the first time. Imagine the headlines: “Millions of mothers and children saved from preventable deaths” and “25 million futures ensured by new education opportunities.”
Our job is to speak to our senators and representatives, thanking them for their support of these initiatives and requesting them to continue their support until the headlines become reality.
Willie Dickerson, Snohomish
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Ryan Zinke is right: Reintroduce the North Cascades grizzly bear | Op-Ed
- 2020 Census citizenship question makes a mockery of our progress | Op-Ed
- Teachers can’t take it anymore | Paul Krugman / Syndicated columnist
- Seattle should reject head tax on jobs | Editorial
- Overdose antidote naloxone belongs in the hands of first responders | Editorial