It is beyond comprehension how the “family values” Republican Party can continue to provide cover for President Donald Trump. His reference to Haiti and African countries is just the most recent in an endless list of nasty, demeaning comments he has made since the beginning of the presidential campaign.
Would these pious Republican senators and congresspersons just look the other way if their child’s scout leader, sports coach or schoolteacher conducted himself in this manner? The Republican Party’s endless tolerance for this never ending egregious behavior is destroying the concept of civil discourse in this country and normalizing mean spiritedness and crude behavior.
Do they really think our nation’s children, who are growing up on this diet of obscene behavior, are not being influenced by it? Is their political agenda really so important to them that they are willing to destroy our country’s self-respect to achieve it? Enough is enough.
Richard Schwartz, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- What in the world was Sen. Ericksen doing in Cambodia? | Opinion: Melissa Santos column
- State Sen. Doug Ericksen out of order to approve of a sham foreign election | Editorial
- Billions in new taxes and no guarantee of carbon reductions | Op-Ed | Con 1631
- Why we stay silent after sexual assault | Op-Ed
- FYI, GOP: Voters grasp tax cut | Paul Waldman / Syndicated columnist