It is beyond comprehension how the “family values” Republican Party can continue to provide cover for President Donald Trump. His reference to Haiti and African countries is just the most recent in an endless list of nasty, demeaning comments he has made since the beginning of the presidential campaign.
Would these pious Republican senators and congresspersons just look the other way if their child’s scout leader, sports coach or schoolteacher conducted himself in this manner? The Republican Party’s endless tolerance for this never ending egregious behavior is destroying the concept of civil discourse in this country and normalizing mean spiritedness and crude behavior.
Do they really think our nation’s children, who are growing up on this diet of obscene behavior, are not being influenced by it? Is their political agenda really so important to them that they are willing to destroy our country’s self-respect to achieve it? Enough is enough.
Richard Schwartz, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Trump and Pelosi: The legacies of their fathers | Op-Ed
- The real governments of Blue America | Paul Krugman / Syndicated columnist
- The mysterious case of relearning your ABCs at 65 | Op-Ed
- Witnessing firsthand the cruel and inhumane treatment of asylum-seekers | Op-Ed
- China official: Trade war puts Boeing and U.S. economy at risk | Op-Ed