Columnist Hugh Hewitt praised the Trump administration’s “massive tax cut of unprecedented depth and structural change.” Somehow, this massive tax cut bypassed me.
I am a 79-year-old retiree. I recently took money out of my pension account. I was charged 20 percent federal taxes. The 2018 federal corporate-tax rate is 21 percent. Maybe paying a massive 1-percent less in taxes than corporations pay is something I should be thankful for.
Hewitt and Susan Hutchison, Republican candidate for U.S. senator, in her debate with U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell, praised the Trump trade deals. I recently purchased steel pipes and CDX plywood. The pre-tariff prices were $40.99 for pipes and $18.99 for plywood. Today’s cost is $52.99 for the pipes and $25.99 for the plywood.
Something else to be thankful for.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- I owe my 20-year marriage to being snowed in, '90s style | Op-Ed
- Legislature, don't micromanage cities | Editorial
- Pull back the curtain to find out the truth about Venezuela's oppressive regime | Op-Ed
- Save restaurant workers from restrictive scheduling practices | Op-Ed
- Trump's ‘emergency’ plunges the nation into peril | Greg Sargent / Syndicated columnist
James Behrend, Bainbridge Island