Now that both houses of Congress have passed their versions of a tax giveaway, the Republicans are already talking about “reforming” welfare, Social Security and Medicare.
Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch said that Congress needed to stop wasting Americans’ money on “liberal programs” for the poor.
I say to Sen. Hatch, we wouldn’t need welfare and other “liberal” programs if all of the corporations you just gave a huge tax gift would pay their employees a livable wage and there was affordable health care. It’s actually the corporations that are living off of the “liberal” programs for the poor.
Bill Pellettieri, Tacoma
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Hold the applause on President Trump’s promises on pot | Editorial
- Anti-vaccine misinformation denies children’s rights | Op-Ed
- What happened in Starbucks isn’t really about Starbucks | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
- We fell in love with and put down roots in a vanishing Seattle | My Take
- Trump is not Nixon and North Korea is not China | Eli Lake | Syndicated columnist