Now that both houses of Congress have passed their versions of a tax giveaway, the Republicans are already talking about “reforming” welfare, Social Security and Medicare.
Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch said that Congress needed to stop wasting Americans’ money on “liberal programs” for the poor.
I say to Sen. Hatch, we wouldn’t need welfare and other “liberal” programs if all of the corporations you just gave a huge tax gift would pay their employees a livable wage and there was affordable health care. It’s actually the corporations that are living off of the “liberal” programs for the poor.
Bill Pellettieri, Tacoma
Most Read Opinion Stories
- The Seattle Times recommends: No on Initiative 1631 | Editorial
- Seattle Times editorial board endorsements for 2018 general election
- The Times recommends: Dino Rossi in the 8th Congressional District
- CON: Police officers at risk if Initiative 940 passes | Op-Ed
- The Times recommends: Retain three state Supreme Court justices | Editorial