What is happening in Syria and Yemen is an obscenity. What happened to our moral leadership in the world? How can we stand by and do nothing while children are being terrorized and blown apart by bombs? Imagine if it were happening in your neighborhood. Imagine your own children crying out to you in terror as bombs drop all around them or as they struggle to breathe while chemicals fill their lungs. Are children in Syria and Yemen not as precious as our own?
United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein has said of Syria, “The entire country has become a torture-chamber; a place of savage horror and absolute injustice.” Syrian president Bashar al-Assad is wiping out thousands upon thousands of his own people while the “civilized” world looks on. Our excuse during the Holocaust was that we didn’t know what was happening. What is our excuse now?
At the very least, we can write letters to our representatives in government and donate to the many charities dedicated to helping children, such as the U.N. Refugee Agency, UNICEF or Doctors Without Borders. I urge you to do so.
Christine Jacobson, Everett
Most Read Opinion Stories
- This new report on Trump's state of mind should alarm you
- School-by-school data at parents’ fingertips is a great tool | Editorial
- Take assault-weapons ban to the people | Editorial
- Protect students, not student-loan servicers | Editorial
- Do our youth really understand their country’s military? | Op-Ed