The part of this latest charade that really got me thinking was the fact that some of the senators who were involved in the Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas hearings were still dispensing justice — if you can call it that — in the Christine Blasey Ford and Brett Kavanaugh hearings. I cannot think of a better reason to enact term limits than to watch these dinosaurs in action.
To have the same senators in office for an extended period of time does not serve the country well. Let’s see some limits on a person’s time in office to make them actually want to get something accomplished while they serve. That old argument about a person building experience to help with their decision making is a lot of bunk.
Since the average person was not literate when our government formed, the educated took the helm. Nowadays, the educated in our society don’t want to serve in government because it isn’t worth the aggravation to do so. The old boys’ network lives on, and we suffer because of it.
John Frederick Bowers, SeaTac
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Single-payer health care is the only moral prescription for America | Op-Ed
- Thank Trump for the thriving economy | Andy Puzder / Guest columnist
- To break cycle of poverty, struggling families need the state to boost temporary lifeline | Op-Ed
- Help Washington foster children succeed | Editorial
- Why can’t America dream big? | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist