While I can appreciate the symbolic gesture of eliminating plastic straws from being used and substituting paper straws, it appears the Seattle City Council is distracted from one of its primary functions — public safety.
If council members are truly interested, they will implement seismic safety laws to protect people from being killed or injured by unreinforced masonry buildings that exist throughout the city, with a concentration of them in Pioneer Square. These are structures that people live in and work in today, that we know will pancake in any significant earthquake. These are killer buildings, as reported in The Seattle Times.
Still, the Seattle City Council continues to have seismic neglect, the earthquake nightmare public officials are failing to confront.
Eric Holdeman, emergency manager, Puyallup
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Devin Nunes’ parallel universe | Horsey cartoon
- Make way for a millennial president? | Horsey cartoon
- Sondland sings | Horsey cartoon
- Decrying income inequality is a harmful tactic that will make us all worse off | Edward Stringhman / Guest columnist
- President Trump’s Gordon problem | Michelle Goldberg / Syndicated columnist