I’m certainly glad that we, as a society, are taking sexual harassment and assault more seriously.
What concerns me now is the news media’s approach to convicting the accused without a trial or even a legal charge, especially when allegations are about events from 10 or 20 years ago. Of course these charges must be reported, but news stories and editorials also convict the accused.
How is this different from the McCarthy communist-scare era, when the accused were ruined without real evidence or trials?
Roberta Lewandowski, Mercer Island
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Witnessing firsthand the cruel and inhumane treatment of asylum-seekers | Op-Ed
- United to save salmon and orcas | Op-Ed
- After Kirkland yogurt-shop incident, a much-needed policy change | Editorial
- Congress should override new birth-control restrictions | Editorial
- Heard in Olympia: Responses to Gov. Inslee's presidential aspirations | Op-Ed