A letter writer said teachers should be armed. Teachers should not be armed!
Teachers are supposed to be held with respect for the tireless work they do. They are also public employees. If teachers were armed would that mean mayors or even the governor and other public officials who deal with large numbers of people each day should carry guns? How about the clergy ? We just had a shooting in a church. Should the church usher have had a gun too?
More guns are not the answer. Common sense and calm are what we need to arm ourselves with now.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Restore the balance between Navy's needs and civilian communities impacted by Growler jets
- Jaime Herrera Beutler principled to the end, gracious in defeat
- Axios sells to Cox, but what does it mean for local news?
- Trumplandia is predictably gleeful about FBI raid
- Breaking with the cult of the Confederacy
James N. Thompson, Seattle