I am heartsick about Peter Hawthorne, the abandoned-by-force squirrel.
I grew up loving and rescuing animals: two badgers, a gopher, a jack rabbit, five baby squirrels and a great horned owl.
They were all carefully prepared for their release into the wild.
God tells us to care for the animals. Is the law greater than God now? Is our money to be reprinted “In The Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife We Trust”?
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Cantwell unacceptably elusive about debates | Editorial
- EPA’s reversal of environmental protections veers badly off course | Op-Ed
- What in the world was Sen. Ericksen doing in Cambodia? | Opinion: Melissa Santos column
- Too many children failing statewide tests | Editorial
- State Sen. Doug Ericksen out of order to approve of a sham foreign election | Editorial
The real shame is on the anonymous squealer who had nothing better to do with his/her life than try to make someone else as miserable as they are. Well, they got a bonus, didn’t they? A heartbroken human and a dead animal.
Lee Ryan Coston, Des Moines