I am heartsick about Peter Hawthorne, the abandoned-by-force squirrel.
I grew up loving and rescuing animals: two badgers, a gopher, a jack rabbit, five baby squirrels and a great horned owl.
They were all carefully prepared for their release into the wild.
God tells us to care for the animals. Is the law greater than God now? Is our money to be reprinted “In The Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife We Trust”?
Most Read Opinion Stories
- A reality check for politicians | Kate Riley / Times editorial columnist
- 10 take-aways from the head-tax debacle | Editorial
- GOP to Americans with health problems: Drop dead | Paul Krugman / Syndicated columnist
- Israel has no choice but to defend itself against Hamas attacks | Op-Ed
- A golden-years quandary: Where will I live? | My Take
The real shame is on the anonymous squealer who had nothing better to do with his/her life than try to make someone else as miserable as they are. Well, they got a bonus, didn’t they? A heartbroken human and a dead animal.
Lee Ryan Coston, Des Moines