I am heartsick about Peter Hawthorne, the abandoned-by-force squirrel.
I grew up loving and rescuing animals: two badgers, a gopher, a jack rabbit, five baby squirrels and a great horned owl.
They were all carefully prepared for their release into the wild.
God tells us to care for the animals. Is the law greater than God now? Is our money to be reprinted “In The Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife We Trust”?
Most Read Opinion Stories
- A solution to the shortage of mental-health providers | Op-Ed
- Paul Allen’s generosity gives hope for yet more cures | Editorial
- The Port of Seattle has a strategy for world-class maritime industries | Op-Ed
- Greater Seattle punches below its weight in philanthropy | Op-Ed
- After gut punch from genealogical research, reparations | Op-Ed
The real shame is on the anonymous squealer who had nothing better to do with his/her life than try to make someone else as miserable as they are. Well, they got a bonus, didn’t they? A heartbroken human and a dead animal.
Lee Ryan Coston, Des Moines