This important local history has been sadly ignored by those in a position to commemorate it in the way it deserves.
Visiting the land around Old Fort Lake in DuPont, it’s fun to imagine the crosscurrents of emotions, lubricated and otherwise, that swirled around the skeptical Brits of Hudson’s Bay Company, the hardworking crewmen of the Wilkes Expedition and the local Native Americans wondering what all the fuss was about.
It would be wonderful to see this history preserved with proper recognition and siting.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Trade war is costing Washington dearly | Editorial
- Small-town mayor schools Washington legislators on open government | Editorial
- More states should follow Washington and vote by mail | Editorial
- Career and technical education is win-win for students, job creators | Op-Ed
- Fear comes full circle to rouse the electorate | Op-Ed
Janet Dawes, Lacey, Nisqually Delta Association