This important local history has been sadly ignored by those in a position to commemorate it in the way it deserves.
Visiting the land around Old Fort Lake in DuPont, it’s fun to imagine the crosscurrents of emotions, lubricated and otherwise, that swirled around the skeptical Brits of Hudson’s Bay Company, the hardworking crewmen of the Wilkes Expedition and the local Native Americans wondering what all the fuss was about.
It would be wonderful to see this history preserved with proper recognition and siting.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Secret meetings via text: Hold Seattle's leaders accountable | Editorial
- Get I-405 flowing: Complete 16-year-old master plan now | Op-Ed
- As Florida chokes on red tide, governor denies environmental malpractice | Froma Harrop / Syndicated columnist
- The difference between a youthful indiscretion and a serious crime | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
- Unite to save the wild landscapes that define us as 'Westerners' | Op-Ed
Janet Dawes, Lacey, Nisqually Delta Association