This important local history has been sadly ignored by those in a position to commemorate it in the way it deserves.
Visiting the land around Old Fort Lake in DuPont, it’s fun to imagine the crosscurrents of emotions, lubricated and otherwise, that swirled around the skeptical Brits of Hudson’s Bay Company, the hardworking crewmen of the Wilkes Expedition and the local Native Americans wondering what all the fuss was about.
It would be wonderful to see this history preserved with proper recognition and siting.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- I owe my 20-year marriage to being snowed in, '90s style | Op-Ed
- Legislature, don't micromanage cities | Editorial
- Pull back the curtain to find out the truth about Venezuela's oppressive regime | Op-Ed
- Save restaurant workers from restrictive scheduling practices | Op-Ed
- Trump's ‘emergency’ plunges the nation into peril | Greg Sargent / Syndicated columnist
Janet Dawes, Lacey, Nisqually Delta Association