This important local history has been sadly ignored by those in a position to commemorate it in the way it deserves.
Visiting the land around Old Fort Lake in DuPont, it’s fun to imagine the crosscurrents of emotions, lubricated and otherwise, that swirled around the skeptical Brits of Hudson’s Bay Company, the hardworking crewmen of the Wilkes Expedition and the local Native Americans wondering what all the fuss was about.
It would be wonderful to see this history preserved with proper recognition and siting.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Trade war is costing Washington dearly | Editorial
- State school chief needs to lead and rein in local school levies | Editorial
- Combat Seattle’s street crime with treatment and housing, not jail | Op-Ed
- Michelle Obama tells her truth | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
- Manipulation of voter ignorance is true peril | Op-Ed
Janet Dawes, Lacey, Nisqually Delta Association