This important local history has been sadly ignored by those in a position to commemorate it in the way it deserves.
Visiting the land around Old Fort Lake in DuPont, it’s fun to imagine the crosscurrents of emotions, lubricated and otherwise, that swirled around the skeptical Brits of Hudson’s Bay Company, the hardworking crewmen of the Wilkes Expedition and the local Native Americans wondering what all the fuss was about.
It would be wonderful to see this history preserved with proper recognition and siting.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Foreigners boycott Trump’s America | Froma Harrop / Syndicated columnist
- Seattle Times editorial board endorsements for August primary election
- ‘OK, thanks, bye!’: No pretense of due process at immigration hearing | My Take
- Supportive housing would have helped my schizophrenic brother | My Take
- Let’s get creative with existing taxes to fix housing crisis | Op-Ed
Janet Dawes, Lacey, Nisqually Delta Association