I believe in Temporary Protected Status [TPS], especially for those who originate from El Salvador.
We funded the inhumane conditions that caused them to flee here. By ending TPS, we are asking them to leave their children behind or drag them away from the only life they’ve ever known. We’re asking them to leave their homes, their jobs, their friends. It isn’t right.
If we tear the opportunity from those we’ve already given it to, we are no longer the people and ideas this nation was founded on.
Erin O’Brien, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Seattle Times editorial board endorsements for August primary election
- Democrats, take note: ‘Normal’ isn’t coming back | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
- A to-do list for new Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best | Editorial
- Foreigners boycott Trump’s America | Froma Harrop / Syndicated columnist
- ‘Sorry, we don’t keep records’: Border children’s uncertain futures | Op-Ed