Now that a Michigan judge has struck down our country’s national ban against it, it’s up to the states to decide. I hope Washington’s legislature will have the courage to outlaw female genital cutting during its next session.
It would be even better if the legislature would provide equal protection under the law for boys. I’m all for women’s rights, but this is a matter of human rights. Boys deserve protection from circumcision, too. Anything less is discrimination on the basis of sex.
Cat Saunders, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Let new council decide Seattle neighborhoods' fate | Editorial
- Bill Nye: fables, facts and f-bombs | Op-Ed
- Why won't we talk about death? | Op-Ed
- The conversation on race and identity is really about how we care for and treat one another | Op-Ed
- What orca extinction sounds like | Horsey cartoon