Now that a Michigan judge has struck down our country’s national ban against it, it’s up to the states to decide. I hope Washington’s legislature will have the courage to outlaw female genital cutting during its next session.
It would be even better if the legislature would provide equal protection under the law for boys. I’m all for women’s rights, but this is a matter of human rights. Boys deserve protection from circumcision, too. Anything less is discrimination on the basis of sex.
Cat Saunders, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Mayor Durkan's first-year report card includes some As and Ds | Editorial
- Climate change is killing our patients | Op-Ed
- Community colleges need budget love to train future workforce | Editorial
- Eliminating hate is everyone’s responsibility | Op-Ed
- Bush is gone, and so is his vision of ‘a kinder, gentler nation’ | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist