Now that a Michigan judge has struck down our country’s national ban against it, it’s up to the states to decide. I hope Washington’s legislature will have the courage to outlaw female genital cutting during its next session.
It would be even better if the legislature would provide equal protection under the law for boys. I’m all for women’s rights, but this is a matter of human rights. Boys deserve protection from circumcision, too. Anything less is discrimination on the basis of sex.
Cat Saunders, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Agree or disagree, sheriffs must enforce new state gun law | Editorial
- Let minors choose themselves to vaccinate against measles | Op-Ed
- Thank Trump for the thriving economy | Andy Puzder / Guest columnist
- Legislature, don't micromanage cities | Editorial
- Pull back the curtain to find out the truth about Venezuela's oppressive regime | Op-Ed