Now that a Michigan judge has struck down our country’s national ban against it, it’s up to the states to decide. I hope Washington’s legislature will have the courage to outlaw female genital cutting during its next session.
It would be even better if the legislature would provide equal protection under the law for boys. I’m all for women’s rights, but this is a matter of human rights. Boys deserve protection from circumcision, too. Anything less is discrimination on the basis of sex.
Cat Saunders, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- After gut punch from genealogical research, reparations | Op-Ed
- Shellfish farming, the lifeblood of Pacific County, faces extinction | Op-Ed
- We need salmon in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, and they need our protection | Op-Ed
- Our long national nightmare is just beginning | Max Boot / Syndicated columnist
- Greater Seattle punches below its weight in philanthropy | Op-Ed