Thank you to King County Executive Dow Constantine and King County for joining other cities and counties across the country in suing major oil companies for our costs connected to climate change.
It’s not just that these companies knew decades ago about the dangers of fossil fuels and did nothing. Worse, they actively worked (and, in many cases, still work) to spread lies about climate science and to block progress on clean energy.
So as I watch our wildfire seasons intensify and our summer skies clog with smoke, our snowpack decline and our salmon die from too-warm waters, and as I think of the future facing our children, do I think fossil-fuel companies should be held accountable? You bet I do.
Kathy Washienko, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- The Seattle Times recommends: No on Initiative 1631 | Editorial
- Seattle Times editorial board endorsements for 2018 general election
- The Times recommends: Dino Rossi in the 8th Congressional District
- CON: Police officers at risk if Initiative 940 passes | Op-Ed
- Vote no on I-1639: Don’t criminalize self-defense | Op-Ed | Con 1639