Thank you to King County Executive Dow Constantine and King County for joining other cities and counties across the country in suing major oil companies for our costs connected to climate change.
It’s not just that these companies knew decades ago about the dangers of fossil fuels and did nothing. Worse, they actively worked (and, in many cases, still work) to spread lies about climate science and to block progress on clean energy.
So as I watch our wildfire seasons intensify and our summer skies clog with smoke, our snowpack decline and our salmon die from too-warm waters, and as I think of the future facing our children, do I think fossil-fuel companies should be held accountable? You bet I do.
Kathy Washienko, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Witnessing firsthand the cruel and inhumane treatment of asylum-seekers | Op-Ed
- United to save salmon and orcas | Op-Ed
- After Kirkland yogurt-shop incident, a much-needed policy change | Editorial
- Congress should override new birth-control restrictions | Editorial
- Heard in Olympia: Responses to Gov. Inslee's presidential aspirations | Op-Ed