Afghanistan is where empires go to die. Even the Russians knew better than to waste any more resources after a decade of conflict.
Why is the United States still spending billions of dollars on a lost cause? Why isn’t that same taxpayer money being used to restore America’s degraded infrastructure instead? Why aren’t those same military forces given jobs rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges right here in the United States?
Why aren’t voters who are not 1-percent beneficiaries of the military-industrial complex demanding this outcome?
Rich Thomasy, Issaquah
Most Read Stories
- 'The Big Dark' is here as first of three storms rolls into Northwest on stretch of trans-Pacific moisture
- 'The Big Dark': Satellite image shows future rain clouds stretching from China to Puget Sound
- Boeing, reversing tide of cuts, rushes to bring back retirees as temps
- Bail set at $1M for uncle suspected of killing Lynnwood 6-year-old
- As Amazon’s deadline for HQ2 bids closes, speculation on winner heats up