I think President Donald Trump has it all wrong about kneeling.
If he went to a Catholic church, he would genuflect before entering the pew, and at times he would kneel during the service. When I was young, I knelt at my Lutheran church when receiving communion. Muslims not only kneel but put their heads on the floor in the mosque.
Kneeling before kings and queens is a sign of respect.
So why is kneeling during football games a show of disrespect for our country? It seems to me it’s even more respectful.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Secret meetings via text: Hold Seattle's leaders accountable | Editorial
- Trump's disruptive tariffs are political, not economic | Op-Ed
- To save the orca, we must save the Salish Sea | Op-Ed
- As Florida chokes on red tide, governor denies environmental malpractice | Froma Harrop / Syndicated columnist
- Unite to save the wild landscapes that define us as 'Westerners' | Op-Ed
Mary Pekarek, Vashon Island