Should Jeff Bezos and the wealthy pay more taxes? Yes, with income taxes at the national level. Unfortunately our Republican controlled Congress won’t do this.
Taxing with a head tax at the city level will just drive businesses away, increase the number of homeless who come to Seattle and not solve the problem. But maybe the head tax will solve our high housing prices with less demand for housing — less business, fewer workers. If Amazon leaves, property prices will really go down.
Elaine Carpenter, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- A lesson for today in Tacoma's fall and Seattle's rise in the 1890s | Op-Ed
- Targeting sea lions is a shrewd and responsible step for saving salmon runs | Editorial
- Time to retire the Blue Angels | Op-Ed
- No pencils, no notebooks, no place of their own: Help homeless students | Editorial
- The truth about Russia is out there, but where is the GOP? | Joe Scarborough / Syndicated columnist