Should Jeff Bezos and the wealthy pay more taxes? Yes, with income taxes at the national level. Unfortunately our Republican controlled Congress won’t do this.
Taxing with a head tax at the city level will just drive businesses away, increase the number of homeless who come to Seattle and not solve the problem. But maybe the head tax will solve our high housing prices with less demand for housing — less business, fewer workers. If Amazon leaves, property prices will really go down.
Elaine Carpenter, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Orca extinction is not an option | Op-Ed
- Fairness requires credit standards for AP and IB tests | Editorial
- We are completely unprepared for the next financial crisis | Robert E. Rubin / Guest columnist
- A lesson for today in Tacoma's fall and Seattle's rise in the 1890s | Op-Ed
- Just how big is this blue wave? For state Democrats, maybe the biggest in decades | Melissa Santos / Times editorial columnist