Should Jeff Bezos and the wealthy pay more taxes? Yes, with income taxes at the national level. Unfortunately our Republican controlled Congress won’t do this.
Taxing with a head tax at the city level will just drive businesses away, increase the number of homeless who come to Seattle and not solve the problem. But maybe the head tax will solve our high housing prices with less demand for housing — less business, fewer workers. If Amazon leaves, property prices will really go down.
Elaine Carpenter, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- ‘OK, thanks, bye!’: No pretense of due process at immigration hearing | My Take
- Congress must choose threatened salmon over sea lions | Editorial
- ‘Aid and comfort’ to enemies: Trump, Russia and treason | Op-Ed
- Seattle Times editorial board endorsements for August primary election
- Foreigners boycott Trump’s America | Froma Harrop / Syndicated columnist