Should Jeff Bezos and the wealthy pay more taxes? Yes, with income taxes at the national level. Unfortunately our Republican controlled Congress won’t do this.
Taxing with a head tax at the city level will just drive businesses away, increase the number of homeless who come to Seattle and not solve the problem. But maybe the head tax will solve our high housing prices with less demand for housing — less business, fewer workers. If Amazon leaves, property prices will really go down.
Elaine Carpenter, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- What in the world was Sen. Ericksen doing in Cambodia? | Opinion: Melssia Santos column
- Billions in new taxes and no guarantee of carbon reductions | Op-Ed | Con 1631
- Why we stay silent after sexual assault | Op-Ed
- ‘Big Oil’ vs. clean energy and healthier communities | Op-Ed | Pro 1631
- Lawmaker out of order to approve of a sham foreign election | Editorial