Should Jeff Bezos and the wealthy pay more taxes? Yes, with income taxes at the national level. Unfortunately our Republican controlled Congress won’t do this.
Taxing with a head tax at the city level will just drive businesses away, increase the number of homeless who come to Seattle and not solve the problem. But maybe the head tax will solve our high housing prices with less demand for housing — less business, fewer workers. If Amazon leaves, property prices will really go down.
Elaine Carpenter, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- A front-row seat to voter suppression in Georgia | Op-Ed
- If we care about orcas, we should talk about growth management | Op-Ed
- More power to women in government | Editorial
- Governor, call a special session for special education | Editorial
- Seattle education levy should benefit charter students, too | Editorial