Since I am strongly anti-gun, I confess that I forced myself to read some articles from people who identify themselves as in the middle on gun issues [“Those of us in the middle must speak up, act for gun laws”; “Middle America must lead on guns with a fierce grace”]. I found myself surprisingly agreeing with many of the authors’ statements.
After the shooting in Florida, the tide is finally starting to shift, from major corporations cutting ties with the National Rifle Association, to fresh, new and welcome student activism.
The time is now to add to this momentum for those of us on the left of gun issues to join forces with those in the middle. Compromise is not failure but a way to move a difficult situation forward, one step at a time, toward replacing more tragedy with sanity.
Annette Peizer, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- To save the orca, we must save the Salish Sea | Op-Ed
- Brett Kavanaugh is the poster child of a corrupt bargain | Michelle Goldberg / Syndicated columnist
- Get flavored e-cigarettes hooking teens off the shelf | Editorial
- Celebrate tremendous Bezos family gift | Editorial
- Bob Woodward delivers | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist