Here we go again. Right-wing provocateurs are booked for an event, the left over-responds and organizers cry “free-speech violations” in order to gain sympathy.
The conservative political group Patriot Prayer, from Vancouver, Washington, is invited by the University of Washington College Republicans to a rally on campus Saturday and becomes a critical avatar of basic freedoms.
Rather than overreact and provide unearned legitimacy to such antics, progressives ought to quietly call their bluff and ask to be included in the “free-speech” event.
If, as organizers claim, the event is about speech, shouldn’t people be able to respond to and rebut the (nonsensical, damaging) views expressed therein?
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Seattle, it's time to take back City Hall | Op-Ed
- Seattle voters, sign referendum to repeal head tax | Editorial
- ‘Faith’ vs. Jesus’ example | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
- Reject back-channel attempt to defund Planned Parenthood | Editorial
- The art of distraction in Trump’s New-Truth era | Op-Ed
Mark Gardner, Bellingham