Here we go again. Right-wing provocateurs are booked for an event, the left over-responds and organizers cry “free-speech violations” in order to gain sympathy.
The conservative political group Patriot Prayer, from Vancouver, Washington, is invited by the University of Washington College Republicans to a rally on campus Saturday and becomes a critical avatar of basic freedoms.
Rather than overreact and provide unearned legitimacy to such antics, progressives ought to quietly call their bluff and ask to be included in the “free-speech” event.
If, as organizers claim, the event is about speech, shouldn’t people be able to respond to and rebut the (nonsensical, damaging) views expressed therein?
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Agree or disagree, sheriffs must enforce new state gun law | Editorial
- Let minors choose themselves to vaccinate against measles | Op-Ed
- Thank Trump for the thriving economy | Andy Puzder / Guest columnist
- Legislature, don't micromanage cities | Editorial
- Pull back the curtain to find out the truth about Venezuela's oppressive regime | Op-Ed
Mark Gardner, Bellingham